Tag Archives: Friends of Pilrig Park

LCCC January 2021 minutes

Meeting highlights

  • death of John Hein, resignation of John Tibbitt, co-option of Lucy Watters
  • Planning: Dryden St area, Bonnington area
  • various governance matters
  • LCCC response to Public Spaces Management Plan
  • Transport & clean streets: spaces for people, tram-works
  • Licensing: various matters

Minutes of Leith Central Community Council ordinary meeting, held via MS Teams, on Monday 18 January 2021 at 7:00pm

Actions and decisions are red italic. nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against a decision.

1 Welcome, apologies

1.a Attendees

  • LCCC voting members: Jack Caldwell, Alan Dudley, Charlotte Encombe, Nick Gardner, Sheila Kennedy, Ian Mowat,
Harald Tobermann, Lucy Watters, John Wilkinson,
Amy Woodgate
  • LCCC ex-officio and non-voting members: Cllr Amy McNeese-Mechan (Leith Walk ward), Bruce Ryan (minutes secretary)
  • Others: Michael Trail (all Leith Links CC), Alan McIntosh (The Spurtle), 6 other residents/visitors

1.b Apologies

Pierre Forissier (Leith Central CC), Cllr Susan Rae (Leith Walk ward)

2 Welcome, introductions, attendance, apologies

2.a to note: declarations of interest in any items on the agenda

A resident: I have an interest in item 6.c below, due to my co-authorship of the relevant Edinburgh Design Panel report.

2.b to note: J Hein’s death (24/12/20)

The chair noted John Hein’s service on LCCC (~12 years), including a long spell as chair, and that he will be sorely missed.

2.c to note: J Tibbitt resignation (7/1/21)

The chair noted that John Tibbett has now moved out of Edinburgh and so has to resign from LCCC. He probably also has to resign as chair of the Edinburgh Association of Community Councils.

2.d to agree: to notify CEC of the above changes

The chair noted that Lucy Watters is standing for co-option to LCCC.

  • Decision: L Watters was co-opted nem con
  • Action: B Ryan to remind LCCC office-bearers of the requirements for co-option
  • Action: chair to notify CEC of these changes.

2.e to agree: order of business below

Decision: agreed nem con

3 Approval of Minutes of 16 November 2020 meeting

Approved as is (proposed A Woodgate, seconded S Kennedy)

4 Matters Arising from previous minutes (and not included on agenda below)

Item 6a:

  • F Gerlach has resigned from LCCC.
  • Action: A Dudley’s committee roles to be discussed when he is present. (He joined the meeting after this point.)

5 Community Police Officer’s Report

No report provided

6 Planning

6.a to note: restrictions to CEC posting physical planning notifications

H Tobermann: the posting of physical planning notifications has been suspended by CEC, so fewer people may learn of proposed developments.

6.b to agree: to write to CEC and developers deploring deterioration of listed Dryden Street buildings, poor maintenance of Dryden Bridge footpath and damage to bridge

H Tobermann: this is about the old tram sheds to the rear of the Shrub Place site. 2 red brick buildings, one of which was of very fine quality, are badly deteriorating due to negligence by the developers. (They are actually obliged to look after the buildings.) Similarly, the developers have not maintained the Dryden Bridge footpath, so that it is badly dented, water-logged and collecting debris, and have blocked it such that it does not permit coronavirus-related physical distancing.

  • Action: H Tobermann to write to CEC and the developer

6.c to note: update on latest Platform/Bonnington plans (20/01932/FUL) and deadline for comments (23-01-21)

  • J Wilkinson: We recently met with Platform, who have made changes to their plans. Changes include taking planned buildings further back from the Water of Leith (WoL), adding more greenery, reducing some planned building-heights, and redesigning planned rooflines to resemble older industrial buildings. The Biscuit Factory would be retained, as would the building opposite it, so the new buildings will be around them. Some retail units would be created on Bonnington Rd, and construction would be finished around 2024. Affordable housing would be ‘pepper-potted’ around the estate, and Platform would manage the finished development.
  • J Wilkinson: the developers assume that residents will be in their late 20s to early 30s, mostly not owning cars.
  • I Mowat: I welcome the plan to retain the Biscuit Factory as a community asset/hub.
  • H Tobermann: there are some related transport matters:
  • The proposed number of flats has been reduced from ~560 to 453. 1000 bike-parking spaces would be provided.
  • 8% on-site car-parking would be provided (down from originally-planned 15%). Some will have e-car charging facilities.
  • All of this is in the context of a forthcoming controlled parking zone (CPZ) in this area.
  • H Tobermann: none of the above is a done deal – the application will go to CEC committee in February 2021, so the deadline for comments is 23 January. LCCC Planning committee welcomes the reductions in height and number of flats, and the increased space between the flats and WoL, but it is slightly concerned about the CPZ potentially not being in place in time – it suggests that establishment of the CPZ should be part of the planning conditions required by CEC. It welcomes the ‘pepper-potting’ of affordable housing, but is concerned that they will be truly affordable – there should be transparency around rental prices.
  • H Tobermann: construction would start in December 2021 at the earliest, lasting for ~30 months. No flats will be released until the development is complete, a factor LCCC Planning welcomes.
  • Action: H Tobermann to submit comment that the new plans are broadly acceptable, so long as the above concerns are met

6.d to note: any other Planning matters relevant to LCCC area

Action: P Forissier to brief H Tobermann about other planning matters

7 LCCC Governance and Office Bearers’ reports

7.a to note: need for updated publication policy and procedures (website, Twitter, Facebook), learning from recent ‘social’ media issues

The chair recalled adverse online reactions to LCCC social media commemorations of John Hein, due to some of his activities outwith his LCCC work.

  • A Woodgate: comms team has been working to learn from this, e.g. not always auto-tweeting/auto-face-booking new blog posts.
  • Action: LCCC comms team to learn from this, and devise a comms policy. Currently it is concentrating on implementing MS Teams, which has taken more time than anticipated.

7.b to note: verbal report on webinar Scottish Open Government: Delivering on the Scottish Government’s Programme of Reforms

J Wilkinson: I attended this event, organised by MacKay Hannah and chaired by Richard Kerley of QMU. Speakers included:

J Wilkinson: The main benefit of this event was increased awareness of what is being done in such areas, and by whom.

Chair: I urge LCCC members to attend and get involved with such events and happenings – they affect us!

7.c to note: Office Bearers’ decision to set up Clydesdale Internet Banking (T&Cs) and IT spend (MS Teams)

I Mowat: this internet banking has been set up, but there are some issues about the email addresses to be used to do it. Costs per transaction are significantly less than costs for posting cheques, although such costs are very minor.

7.d to note: Treasurer’s report

See item 7c above

7.e to note: reports from other Office Bearers and LCCC groups

7.e.i Chair

  • C Encombe: I attended the Cockburn Association’s (CA) lecture on development of the Edinburgh Festival: the balance around commercial enterprise is now out of kilter, because (after it was found that money could be made) hotel organisations and airports were invited to join in. LCCC members are encouraged to attend CA events.
  • Cllr McNeese-Mechan: this is the opinion of one organization. Other data strongly suggests that the majority of Edinburgh’s population are positive towards Edinburgh’s festivals. (I understand that many of these do not have the Festival ‘on their doorsteps’.) Also the festivals are a huge employment source, which is very important considering current financial challenges to public finances. Hence the question is ‘how do we build back better?’, focusing on environmental stability – including transport and holiday-making (and ‘green payback’). Such questions have been important to festival boards before coronavirus. Performers need to earn in order to eat.
  • C Encombe: it has been found that 70-80% of the local population enjoy the Science Festival, but the Edinburgh International Festival (EIF) attracts only 15 to 20% of Edinburgh’s population, so it is right to look at how much of this is for Edinburgh.
  • Cllr M-M: understood – for example opera has a relatively small market. However the free EIF events have mass draw. It is right to understand how statistics are derived.

7.f to note: update on LCCC representation on outside bodies

H Tobermann: Now J Tibbett has resigned from LCCCC, LCCC no longer has a direct link with Edinburgh Association of CCs.

  • Action: LCCC to discuss this matter – and the Festivals – at a later meeting – or possibly in a separate Teams meeting.

8 Parks & Green Spaces

8.a to note: Draft Submission to Public Space Management Consultation and deadline for comments (20-01-2021)

  • N Gardner: LCCC would prefer large events to be held on durable surfaces, and that maximum areas of parks (~20%) be used for events. CEC should aim for better financial details, e.g. taking a minimum %age of events’ profits. CEC should avoid clashes with school holidays. CEC should be able to fine organisers if events cause damage. Many European cities, which are compact and have narrow streets like Edinburgh, stretch their street markets across the cities.
  • J Caldwell: the submission should also mention population density
  • B Ryan: NTBCC has drafted a comprehensive submission, including comments on governance – I can ask them to forward a copy to NG in case this helps the final submission.
  • Action: N Gardner to update, then submit, LCCC’s response

8.b to note: verbal update on Powderhall Railway Path

H Tobermann: CEC obtained funds for a feasibility study, and Jacobs has done some work on this. However, the lead CEC officer has been working on Spaces for People matters. Also Network Rail has not been very forthcoming. The report is now promised ‘soon’, but no firm date has been given.

8.c to note: Friends of Pilrig Park report

J Wilkinson: FoPP’s AGM is due soon.

8.d to note: other Park Friend’s reports

  • S Kennedy: the state of parks (including Montgomery St park) is poor due to much additional use, and discarded masks.
  • N Gardner: clean-ups are difficult due to need for physical distancing.
  • L Watters: I have started a campaign to support community litter-pickers, including taking ‘before’ and ‘after’ photos. There is currently insufficient bin-collection, and hence increased concern.

9 Transport & Clean Streets

9.a to agree: joint email with NTBCC regarding SfP measures (one-sided cyclepath) on London Road and CEC’s ability to maintain these new spaces adequately (snow/ice)

H Tobermann. NTBCC’s transport convenor has approached me about joint work on this. The proposed cycle-path would be one-way only, and not tied into other cycle-paths. Additional snow- and litter-clearance may be hampered by bollards. The island on London Rd does not support physical difference, but is not covered by Spaces for People. London Rd is the boundary between LCCC and NTBCC, hence the call for joint action.

  • Action: H Tobermann to undertake such joint work with NTBCC

9.b to note: verbal update on tram works and final overall impact on LCCC area

H Tobermann: coronavirus regulations permitted restart of construction after the holiday. But at least 8 street-lights were non-functional during the holidays, in part because the CEC lighting team can’t easily access Leith Walk due to tram-work related impedimenta, leading to long periods of darkness. There have also been issues around bin-emptying and information-provision.

Action: These will be raised at the next CCTT/Trams-team meeting, and via other channels.

9.b.i to note: any issues that have arisen for local residents or businesses that have not been dealt with satisfactorily by the Tram Project Team

S Kennedy: the new bins on Albert St are disgusting. What can be done?

H Tobermann: CEC committed to cleaning the whole area each night, but is currently achieving ~3/4 of this, leading to overflow and other knock-on effects.

  • Action: H Tobermann to add this detail to communications with Trams Team and CEC

9.c to note: any other Transport & Clean Street matters relevant to LCCC area

none

10 Licensing

S Kennedy: LCCC has responded to ~5 licensing requests for cafés to start alcohol off-sales with food, recommending against this. Another 3 have now been received.

  • A Woodgate: this may be so that cafés can sell via Just Eat, Deliveroo etc.
  • B Ryan: some pubs’ off-sales in the NTBCC area have caused problems due to people congregating after buying.
  • L Watters: I thought this practice had been banned, so it’s surprising that cafés are applying to do off-sales.
  • M Traill: consumption of alcohol in public spaces is currently prohibited in tier 4 areas. Purchasing is still permitted.

There was discussion of delegation of action to LCCC Licensing committee – often there is insufficient time for requests to be discussed at LCCC meetings, due to deadlines for submission to the Licensing Board (which is sitting online).

  • Action: LCCC Licensing committee to circulate its submissions to LCCC members, possibly after submission

11 Open Forum

11.a LeithChooses

J Caldwell: LeithChooses voting opens online at LeithChooses.net on Monday 25 January, closing Sunday 31 January. Anyone who lives, works, studies or volunteers in Leith can vote.

  • Action: B Ryan to email details to LCCC members

12 AOCB

12.a Food growing strategy

  • N Gardner: I have submitted, on behalf of LCCC, to CEC’s food-growing strategy consultation. (Closing date was today.) The submission favours raised beds, growing (in private gardens) and sharing (with the community). It would be helpful if CEC sets up a scheme to collect and share such food. Indoor markets need storage facilities to be viable, and cooking facilities. Food-growing would benefit from better integration with planning processes.
  • A resident: the strategy is a city-wide initiative, required under community empowerment legislation. CEC’s consultation avoided the topic of using private gardens to grow food, because this may infringe civil liberties. The strategy would touch on food-poverty, climate change etc. Hence the theme of ‘growing local’. I have mentioned the planning system in my response to the consultation.
  • A McIntosh: Over the last two years, the Spurtle has covered a charity managing back greens to grow food when the owners could not do this. I will share this link with N Gardner.
  • L Watters: this would be of interest to the Edinburgh Edible Economy movement – please share this submission.
  • Action: NG to circulate his submission to LCCC members

12.b Leith Forever

Chair: I encourage LCCC members and followers to visit Leith Forever – it’s full of interesting information

13 Future Meetings (usually 3rd Monday of the month) and meeting topics/presentations

13.a to note: 2021: 15 February, 15 March, 19 April, 17 May (AGM)

13.b to note: future presentations and charrettes

13.b.i tbc: talk by CEC Archeology Officer and FCA on findings at 70, 72 Newhaven Road (17/01183/FUL)

LCCC January 2021 meeting agenda

  1. Welcome, introductions, attendance, apologies (19:00)
    1. to note: declarations of interest in any items on the agenda
    2. to note: J Hein’s death (24/12/20)
    3. to note: A Tibbitt resignation (7/1/21)
    4. to agree: to notify CEC of the above changes
    5. to agree: order of business below
  2. Approval of Minutes of 16 November 2020 meeting (19:05)
  3. Matters Arising from previous minutes (and not included on agenda below) (19:10)
  4. Community Police Officer’s Report (19:12)
  5. Planning (1917)
    1. to note: restrictions to CEC posting physical planning notifications
    2. to agree: to write to CEC and developers deplorring deterioration of listed Dryden Street buildings, poor maintenance of Dryden Bridge footpath and damage to bridge
    3. to note: update on latest Platform/Bonnington plans  (20/01932/FUL) and deadline for comments (23-01-21)
    4. to note: any other Planning matters relevant to LCCC area
  6. LCCC Governance and Office Bearers’ reports (19:37)
    1. to note: need for updated publication policy and procedures (website, twitter, facebook), learning from recent ‘social’ media issues
    2. to note: verbal report on webinar Scottish Open Government: Delivering on the Scottish Government’s Programme of Reforms
    3. to note: Office Bearers’ decision to set up Clydesdale Internet Banking (T&Cs) and IT spend (MS Teams)
    4. to note: Treasurer’s report
    5. to note: reports from other Office Bearers and LCCC groups
    6. to: note: update on LCCC representation on outside bodies
  7. Parks & Green Spaces (20:00)
    1. to note: Draft Submission to Public Space Management Consultation and deadline for comments (20-01-21)
    2. to note: verbal update  on Powderhall Railway Path
    3. to note: Friends of Pilrig Park report
    4. to note: other Park Friend’s reports
  8. Transport & Clean Streets (20:05)
    1. to agree: joint email with NTBCC regarding SfP measures (one-sided cyclepath) on London Road and CEC’s ability to maintain these new spaces adequately (snow/ice)
    2. to note: verbal update on tram works and final overall impact on LCCC area
      1. to note: any issues that have arisen for local residents or businesses that have not been dealt with satisfactorily by the Tram Project Team
    3. to note: any other Transport & Clean Street matters relevant to LCCC area
  9. Licensing (20:15)
  10. Open Forum[1]
  11. AOCB[2]
  12. Future Meetings (usually 3rd Monday of the month) and meeting topics/presentations
    1. to note: 2021: 2021, 15 February, 15 March, 19 April, 17 May (AGM)
    2. to note: future presentations and charrettes
      1. tbc: talk by CEC Archeology Officer and FCA on findings at 70, 72 Newhaven Road (17/01183/FUL)

[1] This agenda point allows members of the public to raise issues of public interest.

[2] This agenda point enables LCCC members to raise issues not covered by the agenda.

LCCC February 2020 approved minutes

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Leith Central Community Council, held at McDonald Road library on Monday 17 February 2020 at 7:00pm

Actions and decisions are red italic. nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against a decision. Continue reading

LCCC March 2020 meeting agenda

Monday, 16 March 2020 at 7pm, at the Nelson Hall in McDonald Road Library

1 Welcome, introductions, attendance, apologies

1.a To note: Declarations of interest in any items on the agenda

1.b To agree: Order of business

2 Approval of Minutes of 17 February 2020 meeting

3 Matters arising from previous minutes (and not included on agenda below)

4 Community Police Officer’s Report

5 Transport & Clean Streets

5.a Trams to Newhaven

5.a.i to note: February liaison meeting Community Council Together on Trams with Council’s Tram Team

5.a.ii to note: imminent (28 March) end of Enabling Works and start of 15-18 months of Main Works in Leith Walk (London Road to Crown Place): 3-lane closure, communal bins relocation, logistics hubs, bi-directional cycle-path, Balfour Street access changes, area wide bus diversions
temporary traffic management maps and narrative
construction phasing overview
bus diversions overview

5.a.iii to note: 20/00993/PA | Erection of Tram Stop including Tram Stop Shelter, Overhead Line Equipment (OLE), Street Lighting, Hard Landscaping and Assoicated [sic] Infrastructure. | Balfour Street Tram Stop Leith Walk Edinburgh

5.a.iv to note: any issues that have arisen for local residents or businesses that have not been dealt with satisfactorily by the Tram Project Team

5.b to note: LCCC draft response to City Mobility Plan Consultation

5.c to note: progress of Communal Bins Enhancement programme; roll out in LCCC area in Winter 2020

5.d to note: any other Transport & Clean Street matters relevant to LCCC area

6 Planning

6.a to note: status of current planning applications (MAR 2020)

6.b to note: 20/00972/FUL | Demolition of the existing warehouse and ancillary office building and construction of residential (flatted) development including purpose-built student accommodation, general housing and affordable housing, public realm improvements, hard and soft landscaping and associated infrastructure, including vehicular access. | 48 – 50 Iona Street Edinburgh EH6 8S

6.c to note: draft Place Brief prepared for the Leith Walk/Halmyre Street site – NEW consultation closes 3 April

6.d to note: LCCC draft response to ‘Choices for City Plan 2030 (main issues report)

6.e to note: proposal by local residents to extend Leith Walk Conservation Area

6.f to note: any other Planning matters relevant to LCCC area

7 LCCC Governance and Office Bearers’ reports

7.a to note: Treasurer’s report

7.b to note: Engagement Officer’s and Comms Group report

7.b.i to note: draft analysis of LCCC area and proposal for ‘away day’

7.c to note: reports from other Office Bearers

7.d to: note: update on LCCC representation on outside bodies

7.d.i to note: items of relevance to LCCC area discussed at Edinburgh Partnership meeting March 2020

8 Parks & Green Spaces

8.a to note: proposed Public Spaces Management Plan (to replace the existing Edinburgh Park Events Manifesto and Public Spaces Protocol – public consultation due soon

8.b to note: Friends of Pilrig Park report

8.b.i to note: proposal to hold ‘families event’ in June 2020

8.c to note: other Park Friend’s reports

9 Licensing

10 Open Forum[1]

11 AOCB[2]

12 Bulletin[3]

12.a Campaigners set up own firm in bid to buy Leith Walk’s Stead Place backed by Scottish ministers (EN, 2/3/20)

13 Future Meetings (usually 3rd Monday of the month) and meeting topics/presentations

13.a to note: 2020: 20 Apr, 18 May (incl AGM), 15 Jun

13.b to note: future presentations and charrettes

13.b.i tbc: talk by CEC Archeology Officer and FCA on findings at 70, 72 Newhaven Road (17/01183/FUL)

[1] this agenda point allows members of the public to raise issues of public interest

[2] this agenda point allows LCCC members to raise issues not covered by the agenda

[3] this is for information only; any discussion to be brought to a future meeting

LCCC February 2020 meeting agenda

Monday, 17 February 2020 at 7pm, at the Nelson Hall in McDonald Road Library

  1. Welcome, introductions, attendance, apologies
    1. to note: declarations of interest in any items on the agenda
    2. to agree: order of business
  2. Approval of minutes of 20 January 2020 meeting
  3. Matters arising from previous minutes (and not included on agenda below)
  4. Community Police Officer’s Rreport
  5. Proposed purpose-built student accommodation development with community space, associated infrastructure and amenity space, bicycle parking, landscaping and upgrade of pedestrian path and steps @ 11 – 23 Montrose Terrace Edinburgh (20/00496/FUL)
    1. to note: Leith Central Community Council are statutory consultees for this application
    2. to note: presentation and Q&A by Glencairn (applicants) regarding this application
    3. to note: extended deadline for LCCC comments (20 March 2020)
  6. Planning
    1. to note: status of current planning applications (FEB 2020)
    2. to ratify: LCCC’s response to Scottish Government Planning Performance and Fees Consultation
    3. to agree: LCCC’s consultation response to consultation on place brief for East side of lower Leith Walk between Leith Walk and Halmyre Street
      1. to note: update on SLW’s community right to buy campaign
    4. to note: Draft notes of Pre-Application Presentation at January LCCC meeting regarding 19/05515/PAN 2-4, 6,14 Bonnington Road Lane and 200 Bonnington Road Edinburgh EH6 5RB, made by Orbit for the developer
    5. Local plan (City Plan 2030)
      1. to note: consultation “Choices for City Plan 2030” (main issues report) underway (ends 27-03-20) and parallel City Mobility Plan (see item 9b below)
      2. >to note: LCCC response to be based on our earlier paper
    6. to note: any other Planning matters relevant to LCCC area
  7. LCCC Governance and Office Bearers’ reports
    1. to note: update on issues and complaints around recent Community Council elections
    2. to note: Treasurer’s report
    3. to note: Engagement Officer’s and Comms Group reports
    4. to note: reports from other Office Bearers
    5. to note: update on LCCC representation on outside bodies
  8. Parks & Green Spaces
    1. to note: Powderhall Railway Path update
    2. to note: Friends of Pilrig Park report
    3. to note: other Park Friend’s reports
    4. to note: concerns over expense for use of St Mark’s (Craigroyston FC) and Pilrig Park (Pilmeny Sports Academy) by local sports clubs
  9. Transport & Clean Streets
    1. Trams to Newhaven
      1. to note: information shared by Tram Team at meeting with Community Councils Together on Trams (CCTT) on 28 January and ongoing preparatory works on Leith Walk
      2. to note: start of two year closure of three lanes on Leith Walk from 28 March with flanking measures
      3. to note: near-simultaneous closure of two lanes on North Bridge for 16 months from 17 February
      4. to note: any issues that have arisen for local residents or businesses that have not been dealt with satisfactorily by the Tram Project Team
    2. City Mobility Plan
      1. to note: 8 week consultation underway (ends 27-03-20)
      2. to note: update from Transport Forum – City Mobility Plan event (7 February 2020)
      3. to agree: to focus LCCC response (to be agreed at March meeting) on proposed measures with direct impact on LCCC area
    3. to note: introduction of on-street cycle storage facilities throughout the city (locations)
      1. to note: first local TRO10/20 in West Montgomery Place
    4. to note: any other Transport & Clean Street matters relevant to LCCC area
  10. Licensing
  11. Open Forum[1]
  12. AOCB[2]
  13. Bulletin[3]
    1. Officials given taste of everyday hazards which blind and disabled people face in Edinburgh’s streets (Evening News, 04-02-20)
  14. Future Meetings (usually 3rd Monday of the month) and meeting topics/presentations
    1. to note: 2020: 16 Mar, 20 Apr, 18 May (incl AGM), 15 Jun
    2. to note: future presentations and charrettes
      1. tbc 17 Feb: Montrose Terrace student accommodation by Glencairn Properties
      2. tbc: talk by CEC Archeology Officer and FCA on findings at 70, 72 Newhaven Road (17/01183/FUL)

[1] this agenda point allows members of the public to raise issues of public interest

[2] this agenda point allows LCCC members to raise issues not covered by the agenda

[3] this is for information only; any discussion to be brought to a future meeting

LCCC December 2019 approved minutes

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Leith Central Community Council, held at McDonald Road library on Monday 16 December 2019 at 7:00pm Continue reading

LCCC November 2019 approved minutes

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Leith Central Community Council, held at McDonald Road library on Monday 18 November 2019 at 7:30pm

Actions and decisions are red italic. nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against a decision. Continue reading

LCCC September 2019 meeting agenda

Monday, 16 September 2019 at 7pm
Leith Community Centre, 12a Newkirkgate
McDonald Road Library, Nelson Hall

  1. Welcome, introductions, attendance, apologies
    1. to note: declarations of interest in any items on the agenda
    2. to agree: order of business

  2. Approval of Minutes of 19 August 2019 meeting

  3. Matters Arising from previous minutes (and not included on agenda below)

  4. Community Police Officer’s Report

  5. Pre-application presentation and Q&A: Ross Manson (Manson Architects + Planners)
    Demolition of the existing warehouse and office building. Construction of general market flatted dwellings, affordable flatted dwellings and student accommodation. 48-50 Iona Street EH6 8SW (Iona Street (Edinburgh) Ltd & Walker Timber Ltd 19/03802/PAN)
  6. Planning
    1. 106 – 162 Leith Walk Edinburgh EH6 5DX (18/04349/CON and 18/04332/FUL)
      1. to note: that the owner of 106-162 Leith Walk, Drum (Steads Place) Ltd, is not extending or rolling forward leases for the retail premises while their planning appeal is pending, resulting in a whole city block left unused and boarded up
      2. to note: that this will be detrimental to the amenity and safety of this section of Leith Walk and is unlikely to strengthen the credibility of the developer’s claim that their proposal is in the interest of the local community
    2. to note: exhibition 18 September (3.30 – 7.30pm) at McDonald Road Library on 19/03433/PAN | Residential development of up to 63 apartments, associated infrastructure and landscaping. | 14 Ashley Place Edinburgh EH6 5PX
    3. to note: status of current planning applications (SEP19)
    4. 2030 City Plan and strategic planning issues
      1. to note: community master-planning and co-design event (Saturday21 September 2019, 11-3pm) Leith Proposals: Leith Central Community Council
      2. to note: September Civic Forum and CEC’s commercial needs studies
    5. to note: any other Planning matters relevant to LCCC area
  7. Transport & Clean Streets
    1. to note: Community Councils Together on Tram (CCTT): update
    2. to note: progress of Extending Parking Controls to LCCC area in multiple phases
    3. to note: update on Rossie Place TRO/19/27 Parking Restrictions
    4. to note: any other Transport & Clean Street matters relevant to LCCC area
  8. Parks & Green Spaces
    1. to note: update on draft masterplan plan (and timeline) for Coalie Park
    2. to note: Friends of Pilrig Park report
    3. to note: other Park Friend’s reports
  9. Licensing

  10. LCCC Governance and Office Bearers’ reports
    1. Community Council elections
      1. to note: election briefing, including critical dates
      2. to note: nominations for individual Community Councillors and representatives from recognised (registered) local interest groups
      3. to note: status of October and November LCCC meetings
      4. to note: update on publicising Community Council election
    2. to note: update on issues around availability of McDonald Rd Library for LCCC meetings and accommodation subsidy for CCs
    3. to note: Treasurer’s Report
    4. to note: reports from other Office Bearers
    5. to note: Comms Group Report
    6. to note: report from partnership/locality meetings
  11. Open Forum[1]

  12. AOCB[2]

  13. Bulletin[3]
    Edinburgh father and son forced to create DIY ‘flume’ as stinking waste leaks from short-term let above (EN, 30-08-19)
  14. Future Meetings (usually 3rd Monday of the month) and meeting topics/presentations
    1. to note:
      2019: 21 Oct, 18 Nov, 16 Dec
      2020: 20 Jan, 17 Feb, 16 Mar, 20 Apr, 18 May (incl AGM), 15 Jun
    2. to note: future presentations and charrettes
      1. 21 September: community master-planning and co-design event
      2. tbc October: presentation & Q&A 19/03433/PAN (Ashley Place)
      3. 18 November: Tenements: strengthening the repair & maintenance culture through legislation ( Euan Leitch, director BEFS)
      4. tbc: talk by CEC Archeology Officer and FCA on findings at 70, 72 Newhaven Road (17/01183/FUL)
      5. tbc: 19/00415/PAN (rear of 139 Leith Walk)

[1]this agenda point allows members of the public to raise issues of public interest

[2]this agenda point allows LCCC members to raise issues not covered by the agenda

[3]this is for information only; any discussion to be brought to a future meeting

LCCC August 2019 meeting agenda

Monday, 19 August 2019 at 7pm, Leith Community Centre, 12a Newkirkgate

NB not McDonald Road Library, Nelson Hall

  1. Welcome, introductions, attendance, apologies (5)
    1. to note:​ declarations of interest in any items on the agenda
    2. to agree:​ order of business
  2. Approval of minutes of ​17 June 2019​ meeting (5)
  3. Matters arising from previous minutes (and not on agenda below) (5)
  4. Community Police Officer’s Report (5)
  5. LCCC Governance and Office Bearers’ reports (15)
    1. to note: ​continuing issues around availability of McDonald Rd Library
    2. to note: ​Treasurer’s Report
    3. to note: ​Comms Group Report
      1. to note: ​update on publicising Community Council election
    4. to note: ​report from partnership/locality meetings
    5. to note: ​reports from other Office Bearers
  6. Transport & Clean Streets (10)
    1. to note:​ Community Councils Together on Tram (CCTT): update
    2. to note: ​revised programme ​Tram Diversion Route Resurfacing Works (aka Carriageway Resurfacing Works Summer 2019)
      1. to agree:​ LCCC broadly welcomes the Resurfacing Works, but regrets that urgent pavement resurfacing and surface water drainage repairs and upgrades have not been progressed in parallel;
      2. to agree:​ LCCC requests that any excessive wear and tear due to tramconstruction diversions is made good at the end of the tram works
      3. to agree: ​LCCC requests timely consultations about the reinstatement of setted streets (e.g. Dalmeny Street) that have been tarmaced as part of the Works
    3. to note: ​Edinburgh Citywide Parking – Area 3 Strategic Parking Review
    4. to note: ​any other Transport & Clean Street matters relevant to LCCC area
  7. Planning (20)
    1. to note: ​the retirement of Julian Siann as LCCC’s planning convenor
    2. to note:​ the need to organise a planning monitoring rota to secure statutory consultee status for LCCC and to maintain LCCC’s ​register of current planning applications
    3. to note:​ ​report​ on ​Scottish Government Short Term Lets Consultation ​event
    4. to note: ​concerns over insufficient fire safety at Shrub Place developments (marketed as ‘Engine Yard’) (​Evening News, 02-08-19​)
    5. to note: ​19/03509/ADV​ | Advertisement of the following types: Hoarding. | 10 Croall Place EH7 4LT and LCCC request for extension for comments (minded to object)
    6. to note:​ ​19/03802/PAN​ | Demolition of the existing warehouse and office building. Construction of general market flatted dwellings, affordable flatted dwellings and student accommodation. | 48 – 50 Iona Street Edinburgh EH6 8SW
    7. to note:​ ​19/03433/PAN​ | Residential development comprising up to 63 apartments, associated infrastructure and landscaping. | 14 Ashley Place Edinburgh EH6 5PX
    8. to note: ​community master-planning and co-design event (Saturday​ ​21 September 2019, 11-3pm) ​Leith Proposals: Leith Central Community Council
    9. to note: ​revised​ scheme ​for the Local Plan 2030
    10. to note:​ update on appeal (​PPA-230-2274​ and ​CAC-230-2004​) 106-162 Leith Walk
    11. Shop conversions to residential in LCCC area
      1. to agree: ​that such conversions in tenemental streets disproportionately benefit owners, while disbenefits accrue to residents through loss of amenity, increased incentives to shop further afield and reduced natural surveillance
      2. to agree: ​for LCCC to become statutory consultee in such cases to ensure increased scrutiny
    12. to note: ​opportunity for talk by CEC Archeology Officer and FCA on findings at 70, 72 Newhaven Road (17/01183/FUL)
    13. to note: ​any other Planning matters relevant to LCCC area
  8. Parks & Green Spaces (5)
    1. to note:​ update on draft masterplan plan (and timeline) for Coalie Park
    2. to note:​ Friends of Pilrig Park report
    3. to note:​ other Park Friends’ reports
  9. Licensing
  10. Open Forum1
  11. AOCB2
  12. Bulletin3
    1. Changes to commercial food and glass waste (CEC letter June 2019​)
  13. Future Meetings (usually 3rd Monday of the month) and meeting topics/presentations
    1. to note: ​provisional dates 2019: 16 Sep, 21 Oct, 18 Nov, 16 Dec and provisional dates 2020: 20 Jan, 17 Feb, 16 Mar, 20 Apr, 18 May (including AGM), 15 Jun
    2. to note: ​future presentations and charrettes
      1. 16 September: Briefing by Euan Leitch, BEFS on upcoming ​Tenement Maintenance​ legislation and related matters
      2. 21 September: community master-planning and co-design event
      3. tbc: 19/00415/PAN (rear of 139 Leith Walk)
      4. tbc 19/03433/PAN (Ashley Place)
      5. tbc: 19/03802/PAN (Iona Street)

1 This agenda point allows members of the public to raise issues of public interest.

2 This agenda point allows LCCC members to raise issues not covered by the agenda.

3 This is for information only; any discussion to be brought to a future meeting.

LCCC May 2019 approved minutes

Minutes of the AGM of Leith Central Community Council, held in Nelson Hall, McDonald Road library on Monday 20 May 2019 at 7:00pm

Actions and decisions are red italic. nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against a decision.

The AGM was chaired Cllr Rob Munn. Continue reading