LCCC community planning event notes (final version)

This replaces a post with draft notes, which has now been deleted.


2019_09_21, Nelson Hall, McDonald Rd Library. Notes taken by Bruce Ryan

1 Introduction to the event

Duncan Bremner (DB) of Citizen Curatorintroduced the event.

Harald Tobermann (HT), vicechair of Leith Central Community Council (LCCC), introduced LCCC’s role in this event. He noted that the event is about the Local Development Plan (LDP), called CityPlan 2030, that is currently in development. The event would also touch on other relevant legislation, such as the Community Empowerment Act, including Asset Transfer. (This enables local communities to request to run publicly-owned assets.)

DB noted that Edinburgh Council (CEC) is due to put CityPlan 2030 out to public consultation towards the end of 2019. Then the final version is due to be published in 2022, and would be in place until 2032. This LDP is the document that developers refer to when planning developments. It also informs many other CEC services and activities, especially land-use.

DB noted that the Scottish Government (SG) has recently passed a Planning Act. Now some secondary legislation is needed to complete it. However, this act enables community organisations to develop local place plans (LPPs), and obliges local authorities to ‘have regard’ to LPPs. This legislation is so far untested.

DB also noted that the Scottish Land Commission is considering land-use, and how communities should be involved in such discussions. Continue reading

LCCC August 2019 approved minutes

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Leith Central Community Council, held in Leith Community Education Centre on Monday 19 August 2019 at 7:30pm

Continue reading

LCCC September 2019 meeting agenda

Monday, 16 September 2019 at 7pm
Leith Community Centre, 12a Newkirkgate
McDonald Road Library, Nelson Hall

  1. Welcome, introductions, attendance, apologies
    1. to note: declarations of interest in any items on the agenda
    2. to agree: order of business

  2. Approval of Minutes of 19 August 2019 meeting

  3. Matters Arising from previous minutes (and not included on agenda below)

  4. Community Police Officer’s Report

  5. Pre-application presentation and Q&A: Ross Manson (Manson Architects + Planners)
    Demolition of the existing warehouse and office building. Construction of general market flatted dwellings, affordable flatted dwellings and student accommodation. 48-50 Iona Street EH6 8SW (Iona Street (Edinburgh) Ltd & Walker Timber Ltd 19/03802/PAN)
  6. Planning
    1. 106 – 162 Leith Walk Edinburgh EH6 5DX (18/04349/CON and 18/04332/FUL)
      1. to note: that the owner of 106-162 Leith Walk, Drum (Steads Place) Ltd, is not extending or rolling forward leases for the retail premises while their planning appeal is pending, resulting in a whole city block left unused and boarded up
      2. to note: that this will be detrimental to the amenity and safety of this section of Leith Walk and is unlikely to strengthen the credibility of the developer’s claim that their proposal is in the interest of the local community
    2. to note: exhibition 18 September (3.30 – 7.30pm) at McDonald Road Library on 19/03433/PAN | Residential development of up to 63 apartments, associated infrastructure and landscaping. | 14 Ashley Place Edinburgh EH6 5PX
    3. to note: status of current planning applications (SEP19)
    4. 2030 City Plan and strategic planning issues
      1. to note: community master-planning and co-design event (Saturday21 September 2019, 11-3pm) Leith Proposals: Leith Central Community Council
      2. to note: September Civic Forum and CEC’s commercial needs studies
    5. to note: any other Planning matters relevant to LCCC area
  7. Transport & Clean Streets
    1. to note: Community Councils Together on Tram (CCTT): update
    2. to note: progress of Extending Parking Controls to LCCC area in multiple phases
    3. to note: update on Rossie Place TRO/19/27 Parking Restrictions
    4. to note: any other Transport & Clean Street matters relevant to LCCC area
  8. Parks & Green Spaces
    1. to note: update on draft masterplan plan (and timeline) for Coalie Park
    2. to note: Friends of Pilrig Park report
    3. to note: other Park Friend’s reports
  9. Licensing

  10. LCCC Governance and Office Bearers’ reports
    1. Community Council elections
      1. to note: election briefing, including critical dates
      2. to note: nominations for individual Community Councillors and representatives from recognised (registered) local interest groups
      3. to note: status of October and November LCCC meetings
      4. to note: update on publicising Community Council election
    2. to note: update on issues around availability of McDonald Rd Library for LCCC meetings and accommodation subsidy for CCs
    3. to note: Treasurer’s Report
    4. to note: reports from other Office Bearers
    5. to note: Comms Group Report
    6. to note: report from partnership/locality meetings
  11. Open Forum[1]

  12. AOCB[2]

  13. Bulletin[3]
    Edinburgh father and son forced to create DIY ‘flume’ as stinking waste leaks from short-term let above (EN, 30-08-19)
  14. Future Meetings (usually 3rd Monday of the month) and meeting topics/presentations
    1. to note:
      2019: 21 Oct, 18 Nov, 16 Dec
      2020: 20 Jan, 17 Feb, 16 Mar, 20 Apr, 18 May (incl AGM), 15 Jun
    2. to note: future presentations and charrettes
      1. 21 September: community master-planning and co-design event
      2. tbc October: presentation & Q&A 19/03433/PAN (Ashley Place)
      3. 18 November: Tenements: strengthening the repair & maintenance culture through legislation ( Euan Leitch, director BEFS)
      4. tbc: talk by CEC Archeology Officer and FCA on findings at 70, 72 Newhaven Road (17/01183/FUL)
      5. tbc: 19/00415/PAN (rear of 139 Leith Walk)

[1]this agenda point allows members of the public to raise issues of public interest

[2]this agenda point allows LCCC members to raise issues not covered by the agenda

[3]this is for information only; any discussion to be brought to a future meeting

LCCC June 2019 approved minutes

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Leith Central Community Council, held in Nelson Hall, McDonald Road library on Monday 17 June 2019 at 7:30pm

Minutes initially recorded by B. Ryan.

Actions and decisions are red italic underlined SmallCaps. nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against a decision.

  1. Welcome

    1. LCCC members

Name

2019

May

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov

Dec

Clara Boeker

*

No meeting

No meeting

Jack Caldwell

Jeremy Darot

*

*

Alan Dudley

Charlotte Encombe

Pierre Forissier

*

Nick Gardner

John Hein

Sheila Kennedy

Ian Mowat

A

Lorraine Moore

A

*

Damian Sefton

*

*

Julian Siann

Harald Tobermann

John Wilkinson

Bruce Ryan

Cllr Amy McNeese-Mechan

A

Cllr Rob Munn

*

Cllr Susan Rae

Cllr Lewis Ritchie

A

Ben Macpherson MSP

A

A

Alison Johnstone MSP

A

*

Deidre Brock MP

A

A

= present; A = not present, sent apology; * = not present, did not send apology

    1. Others

      Alan Macintosh

      Broughton Spurtle

      4 residents

      PC Kevin Weaver

      Police Scotland

    2. Declarations of interest in any items on the agenda

None

    1. Order of business

Decision: at this meeting, to hear councillors’ reports immediately after police. Discussion of precedent is in item 7 below.

  1. Approval of minutes of 20 May 2019 meeting

  • I Mowat noted that dates in the AGM financial report are incorrect. Action: IM to circulate correct version via B Ryan.
  • In the police report, ‘MDA’ = misuse of drugs

AGM & ordinary meeting minutes approved subject to making these changes (proposed A Dudley, seconded H Tobermann).

  1. Matters arising from previous minutes (and not on agenda below)

  • Item 3 is in progress
  • Item 6.a.i: Cllr Rae is waiting for replies. Concerning closure of Leith St, B Ryan to send an email he has already drafted to Laing O’Rourke objecting ‘post-mortem’ to misinformation by Laing O’Rourke on this closure. H Tobermann stated that this closure was approved by Edinburgh’s traffic management review panel, that this panel is somewhat opaque and has no CEC cllr members, and suggested that CEC cllrs should assert democratic accountability. Cllr Rae noted that the contract did not allow for recompense to CEC for the contractors’ mistake that led to this closure.
  1. Community Police Officer’s Report

PC Weaver reported

  • Concerning a cyclist being knocked off his bike in the lower stretches of Leith Walk, the driver has been charged. During the police proceedings, a child tried to steal the bike – and has been charged. H Tobermann suggested that the design of the cycle-path at the locus was partly to blame, and that relevant lessons should be taken in by the Trams project.
  • Police are working on rough-sleeper issues, due to robberies at the bottom of Leith Walk.
  • PC Weaver has given information about safety to Broughton Primary School.
  • Police are working on antisocial behaviour issues on Leith Walk.
  • Poiice are undertaking ‘naval visits’ and taking water-safety training.
  • Police are engaging with Extinction Rebellion protests, and with speeding issues.
  • Action: B Ryan to put speeding leaflet on LCCC website.
  • Leith gala was a success, in that there was no [detected] criminality
  • There was a stabbing in Spey Terrace yesterday.

N Gardner asked about phone boxes that have been left to become unsightly, and apparently only serve as sites of ASB and drug-dealing. It was noted that BT has an obligation to keep a certain number of boxes in good order. Action: N Gardner to forward relevant contact details to PC Weaver, PC Weaver to chase this up.

Cllr Ritchie noted that ‘Chris’ is being tagged in graffiti across Leith. PC Weaver stated that this has not been reported, but will follow this up.

  1. Parks & Green Spaces

    1. Re-opening of the Water of Leith Walkway (press report)

H Tobermann noted that the ‘naked men’ are back in the Water of Leith, after 2 years of campaigning to get the walkway reopened, and that a major obstacle has been that CEC does not own the land, and so has few rights over it. He suggested that a permanent public right is needed in relevant planning permissions. He thanked the Spurtle for its positive coverage of LCCC’s work on this issue, and noted that such work demonstrates the value of community councils.

    1. Friends of Pilrig Park report

N Gardner reported that FoPP’s annual picnic is on Saturday (12 noon to 2pm). They have drafted a simple questionnaire about park improvements. This will include a question on catering vans. It was noted that LCCC has not yet decided its position on this topic. Discussion on this issue included

  • Need for appropriate waste facilities – current bins are too few and too small (A Macintosh and others)
  • Need to avoid setting unwelcome precedents (A Macintosh)
  • Regulations forbid ‘junk food’ being sold within a certain distance of schools (A Macintosh)
  • CEC’s current failure to deal with refuse (S Kennedy)
  • Allowing such vans on a trial basis only, with appropriate monitoring (I Mowat, A Macintosh)
  • CEC has already permitted such catering vans, and has already advertised for francisees (H Tobermann). He also suggested that the relevant consultation had been poor, because it omitted important questions.
  • Should parks be commercialised, and their peace disturbed by such vans? (H Tobermann)
  • Where do the proceeds from licensing of vans go, and how will they benefit the parks? (C Encombe)
  • S Kennedy responded that the money would go to CEC parks department, which has suffered budget cuts.
  • Cllr Ritchie suggested that catering vans have a duty of care, including clearing up waste they generate. If this duty was fulfilled, he suggested that such vans could be positive additions to parks and employment.

No position was decided: instead LCCC’s licensing committee will deal with each instance on its (de)merits as appropriate.

    1. Friends of Montgomery St Park

Action: N Gardner to circulate, via B Ryan, the details of FoMSP’s annual summer day (probably 14 September).

  1. Planning

    1. Joint Community Councils’ Written Submission regarding 106 – 162 Leith Walk, Edinburgh Appeal reference PPA-230-2274 Appeal reference CAC-230-2004

CE noted that this document was very well written, thanked H Tobermann, N Garder C Boeker J Siann, Leith Links CC and Leith Harbour and Newhaven CC for their contributions, and that this document is a great example of CC collaboration.

  • J Siann noted that the developers included out-of-date drawings in their appeal against refusal of planning permission,
  • H Tobermann noted that the submission has been supplied to Drum, CEC, Cockburn Association and Save Leith Walk.
  • Cllr Rae stated that CEC councillors are grateful for this ‘very helpful’ document.

H Tobermann noted that the next step is the deadline for submission to the appeal (6 July). The SG reporter has been appointed, and now has to read all submissions, visit the site and decide whether to hold a hearing (relatively light process) or a public enquiry (this will need serious lawyers) needed. So the process will take at least until summer 2019. Then the reporter will decide for or against planning permission, based partly on the submissions but mostly on legal precedent.

H Tobermann also noted that Edinburgh University has withdrawn from the plans due to Drum’s lack of community engagement, but that business that had been in the affected buildings continue to suffer gravely.

    1. Local Plan 2030:

      1. Cockburn Association’ssoapbox session’ on Our Residential City on 26 June at McDonald Road Library (booking info)

H Tobermann noted that the Cockburn Association is ‘gearing up’ for the next version of Local Development Plans (LDPs).

      1. LCCC area proposals design event on 21 September 2019

It was noted that Duncan Bremner of Leith Late is organizing this event about the Leith LDP. The venue is still TBC.

    1. 200 Bonnington Rd (adjacent to former John Lewis depot)

      1. CEC sale of the property to developer for £1·35m

H Tobermann noted that this was previously used for health and social work, and latterly for by the CEC trams team. Outline planning permission for a housing development has already been obtained by John Lewis for this site.

      1. Window for community consultation under new Land Rights and Responsibilities Statement

H Tobermann noted that because there is no full planning application for this site, a community buy-out could be organized, and that CCs cannot organize such buy-outs but other constituted groups can.

    1. Report from recent Civic Forum

It was noted that no LCCC representative attended this.

    1. 19/00415/PAN (rear of 139 Leith Walk): update

H Tobermann noted that LCCC agreed at the last meeting to suggest that the developers should ‘pack it in’, because they have failed to arrange a suitable PAN-presentation to LCCC. He also noted that they wish to make such presentations after the summer, and that he has asked CEC if this means the developer will need to make its application completely de novo.

    1. Other Planning matters relevant to LCCC area

J SIann noted that he has very recently updated LCCC’s planning spreadsheet, which contains many long-standing applications. He suggested asking CEC when these will be resolved.

  • Action: H Tobermann to circulate URL of spreadsheet via B Ryan
  1. LCCC office-bearers’ reports

    1. Community Council election

      1. timeline for CC election 2019

  • The timeline was noted. It is also on LCCC’s website, in this post.
  • C Encombe noted that she has circulated relevant notices, but that actual application forms do not yet exist.
  • J Caldwell displayed the flyers he has had printed, and asked for volunteers to distribute them. Action: He will put relevant files on Dropbox, and circulate a link, and organise distribution.
      1. Local Interest Group require to (re-)register with CEC (Community.Councils@edinburgh.gov.uk)

Action: C Encombe to inform N Gardner about this, with regard to Friends of Montgomery St Park and Friends of Pilrig Park.

      1. Comms Group update on publicising CC election

See item 7e below

    1. LCCC meetings August 2019 to June 2020

      1. Update on availability of McDonald Rd Library (Amy McNeese-Mechan)

C Encombe noted that she wrote to Cllr Mcvey about this. He responded that he understood the issue, but left Cllr A McNeese-Mechan to take this forward. Cllr AMM has had no success so far. Action: C Encombe to urge cllr AMM to hurry.

      1. Proposed meeting dates August 2019 – June 2020

  • Decision: LCCC will not meet in December.
  • Action: C Encombe to notify Cllr AMM, and keep LCCC members informed, including a copy of the flyer advertising dates.
  • Action: J Caldwell/B Ryan to circulate dates as e-calendar invitations, complete with appropriate reminders.
  • Action: S Kennedy to inform McDonald Rd librarian of dates, including a copy of the flyer advertising dates.
  • Action: C Encombe to inform LCCC of meeting time and venue changes, if these occur. (by end July(
    1. Treasurer’s Report: annual accounts FY18/19, budget FY19/20, Changeover of signatories to bank account

I Mowat noted

  • Not meeting in December would save LCCC £60 of minuting costs.
  • LCCC would be in large deficit if it had to pay for meeting premises
  • J Wilkinson suggested that CCs can claim venue-costs from CEC, in addition to the annual CEC administration grant.

Action: IM to (1) circulate up-to-date version of accounts; (2) circulate and budget (including pending information of cost of screen [or white bedsheet]; (3) liaise with L Moore about approval of accounts

Decision: signatories are to be treasurer, chair, vicechair, secretary. Cheques will be signed by two of these.

    1. Report from partnership/locality meetings

J Caldwell noted

  • He and B Ryan attended inaugural Network Neighbourhood (NN) meeting. They suggested that the NN is poorly thought-through and very poorly implemented. (See B Ryan’s report on LCCC website. [Action: BR to circulate this report to LCCC members.]) For example, Leith Walk ward is not as well represented as Leith Ward.
  • J Caldwell has submitted a list of potential NN member organisations, including many from LCCC’s area.
  • He will also attend future quarterly NN meetings on behalf of LCCC.
  • A letter about necessary improvements to NNs has been drafted by Leith CC members. Criticisms mentioned in this draft include insufficient representation of CCs, and lack of channels for CCs to raise issues and get things done.
  • Action: JC to report further when this letter is finalised.
    1. Comms Group Report

J Caldwell noted

  • 1000 LCCC flyers have been printed. Some were distributed by JC and I Mowat at the recent volunteer fair & Leith Gala.
  • He has resent the password for treasurer.lccc@leithcentralcc.co.uk so I Mowat can now use it.
    1. Reports from other office bearers

No items

  1. Transport & Clean Streets

    1. Community Councils Together on Tram (CCTT): update

H Tobermann reported

  • CEC/TT is trying to engage with businesses along the route, while CCTT is trying to find out about changes to traffic.
  • There will be a 2-year temporary traffic regulation order covering the area, enabling TT to handle emergent impacts.
  • There has been no information published by Lothian Buses on changes, due to ‘commercial confidentiality’.
  • HT noted that construction begins in October, so information is needed now. He suggested yet again that the project is being rushed and does not yet have proper preparation.
  • There was discussion of bus-route closures on Leith Walk, and their effects on Bonnington Road and Easter Road.
    1. Updated programme Carriageway Resurfacing Works – Summer 2019

H Tobermann noted that this was mostly prompted by the need to fix side-streets along the tram-route before those works start. J Wilkinson noted that some work has been delayed already, and that there have been issues with traffic cones.

    1. Any other Transport & Clean Street matters relevant to LCCC area

S Kennedy reported about the strategic review of parking:

  • CEC’s transport and environment committee is meeting this Thursday.
  • CEC has completed a review of ‘area 3’: this has taken into account points raised by LCCC’s parking petition.
  • LCCC’s area is the most pressured in terms of parking, and so is top of a list of recommendations for controlled parking.
  • This list also takes into accounts pressures from the tram extension.
  • H Tobermann noted that during tram-work, the TTRO will be used to manage parking. Hence he suggested that the final parking changes must be ready for the end the tram-work.
  • Action: S Kennedy or J Caldwell to share link to strategic parking review document, B Ryan to add this to website.
  1. Licensing

No items

  1. Ward Councillors’ reports, MSPs’ reports, MP’s report

    1. Cllr Rae

She reported that Network Rail has started clearing a brae in Bonnington, so the wall at the top can be fixed. She also noted that the Greens and the Vegan Society stalls at Leith Gala were placed next to the meat-burger van, causing much ‘fun’.

    1. Cllr Ritchie

He noted that tomorrow morning is the deadline for questions to various CEC officer-holders, so he is collating questions around small businesses. It appears to Cllr Ritchie that some CEC policies hamper small businesses, so he is trying to tackle this. Examples include large rates rises and need for better processes.

  • I Mowat stated that the rates system needs improvement to support both businesses, e.g. with regard to information processes. IM also noted an appalling traffic-jam at Bonnington Toll, due to broken red traffic lights. This is apparently not the first time this has occurred. J Caldwell and J Wilkinson corroborated such issues.

C Encombe raised the subject of short-term lets. Cllr Ritchie noted that a relevant bill is going through the Scottish Parliament. A proposed amendment to give regulatory powers over short-term lets is allegedly being blocked, but the bill is at parliamentary stage 3. However, CEC is in favour of getting these powers.

  • B Ryan noted that a consultation is in progress, closing on 19 July.
  • Action: B Ryan to share link to this consultation and notes on PLACE Edinburgh from NTBCC June meeting with LCCC.
  1. Open Forum1

A Macintosh offered to put LCCC’s advertising flyer on the Spurtle website for free. Action: J Caldwell to send it electronically.

  1. AOCB2

  • I Mowat noted the City Centre Transformation Project consultation, closing at the end of June.
  • H Tobermann noted the agenda protocol, and suggested that cllrs’ reports should remain towards the end of agendas, not least because they are not usually substantive, but are unstructured, so may take up more time than appropriate. He suggested that if cllrs have issues to raise earlier, this could be agreed in the standing ‘order of business’ item,
  • B Ryan noted that moving cllrs’ reports in perpetuam was not agreed, even though this may have been intended.
  • S Kennedy noted that any items towards the end of the agenda are likely to be rushed.
  • Action: Cllr Rae to report back to other councillors.
  • J Caldwell noted that there is a focus group on a Leith-based creative network, at the Kirkgate (11am tomorrow).
  1. Bulletin3

    1. Recent exhibition and research by Place-Age: Place-making With Older Adults: Towards Age-friendly Communities

This was noted.

  1. Future Meetings (usually 3rd Monday of the month) and meeting topics/presentations

    1. Dates 2019/20

See item 7.b.ii above.

    1. Potential future presentations

      1. Briefing by Euan Leitch, BEFS on upcoming Tenement Maintenance legislation and related matters

Action: H Tobermann to invite him to present at LCCC’s September meeting.

      1. Charrette: 19/00415/PAN (rear of 139 Leith Walk)

1 This agenda point allows members of the public to raise issues of public interest.

2 This agenda point allows LCCC members to raise issues not covered by the agenda.

3 This is for information only; any discussion to be brought to a future meeting.

LCCC August 2019 meeting agenda

Monday, 19 August 2019 at 7pm, Leith Community Centre, 12a Newkirkgate

NB not McDonald Road Library, Nelson Hall

  1. Welcome, introductions, attendance, apologies (5)
    1. to note:​ declarations of interest in any items on the agenda
    2. to agree:​ order of business
  2. Approval of minutes of ​17 June 2019​ meeting (5)
  3. Matters arising from previous minutes (and not on agenda below) (5)
  4. Community Police Officer’s Report (5)
  5. LCCC Governance and Office Bearers’ reports (15)
    1. to note: ​continuing issues around availability of McDonald Rd Library
    2. to note: ​Treasurer’s Report
    3. to note: ​Comms Group Report
      1. to note: ​update on publicising Community Council election
    4. to note: ​report from partnership/locality meetings
    5. to note: ​reports from other Office Bearers
  6. Transport & Clean Streets (10)
    1. to note:​ Community Councils Together on Tram (CCTT): update
    2. to note: ​revised programme ​Tram Diversion Route Resurfacing Works (aka Carriageway Resurfacing Works Summer 2019)
      1. to agree:​ LCCC broadly welcomes the Resurfacing Works, but regrets that urgent pavement resurfacing and surface water drainage repairs and upgrades have not been progressed in parallel;
      2. to agree:​ LCCC requests that any excessive wear and tear due to tramconstruction diversions is made good at the end of the tram works
      3. to agree: ​LCCC requests timely consultations about the reinstatement of setted streets (e.g. Dalmeny Street) that have been tarmaced as part of the Works
    3. to note: ​Edinburgh Citywide Parking – Area 3 Strategic Parking Review
    4. to note: ​any other Transport & Clean Street matters relevant to LCCC area
  7. Planning (20)
    1. to note: ​the retirement of Julian Siann as LCCC’s planning convenor
    2. to note:​ the need to organise a planning monitoring rota to secure statutory consultee status for LCCC and to maintain LCCC’s ​register of current planning applications
    3. to note:​ ​report​ on ​Scottish Government Short Term Lets Consultation ​event
    4. to note: ​concerns over insufficient fire safety at Shrub Place developments (marketed as ‘Engine Yard’) (​Evening News, 02-08-19​)
    5. to note: ​19/03509/ADV​ | Advertisement of the following types: Hoarding. | 10 Croall Place EH7 4LT and LCCC request for extension for comments (minded to object)
    6. to note:​ ​19/03802/PAN​ | Demolition of the existing warehouse and office building. Construction of general market flatted dwellings, affordable flatted dwellings and student accommodation. | 48 – 50 Iona Street Edinburgh EH6 8SW
    7. to note:​ ​19/03433/PAN​ | Residential development comprising up to 63 apartments, associated infrastructure and landscaping. | 14 Ashley Place Edinburgh EH6 5PX
    8. to note: ​community master-planning and co-design event (Saturday​ ​21 September 2019, 11-3pm) ​Leith Proposals: Leith Central Community Council
    9. to note: ​revised​ scheme ​for the Local Plan 2030
    10. to note:​ update on appeal (​PPA-230-2274​ and ​CAC-230-2004​) 106-162 Leith Walk
    11. Shop conversions to residential in LCCC area
      1. to agree: ​that such conversions in tenemental streets disproportionately benefit owners, while disbenefits accrue to residents through loss of amenity, increased incentives to shop further afield and reduced natural surveillance
      2. to agree: ​for LCCC to become statutory consultee in such cases to ensure increased scrutiny
    12. to note: ​opportunity for talk by CEC Archeology Officer and FCA on findings at 70, 72 Newhaven Road (17/01183/FUL)
    13. to note: ​any other Planning matters relevant to LCCC area
  8. Parks & Green Spaces (5)
    1. to note:​ update on draft masterplan plan (and timeline) for Coalie Park
    2. to note:​ Friends of Pilrig Park report
    3. to note:​ other Park Friends’ reports
  9. Licensing
  10. Open Forum1
  11. AOCB2
  12. Bulletin3
    1. Changes to commercial food and glass waste (CEC letter June 2019​)
  13. Future Meetings (usually 3rd Monday of the month) and meeting topics/presentations
    1. to note: ​provisional dates 2019: 16 Sep, 21 Oct, 18 Nov, 16 Dec and provisional dates 2020: 20 Jan, 17 Feb, 16 Mar, 20 Apr, 18 May (including AGM), 15 Jun
    2. to note: ​future presentations and charrettes
      1. 16 September: Briefing by Euan Leitch, BEFS on upcoming ​Tenement Maintenance​ legislation and related matters
      2. 21 September: community master-planning and co-design event
      3. tbc: 19/00415/PAN (rear of 139 Leith Walk)
      4. tbc 19/03433/PAN (Ashley Place)
      5. tbc: 19/03802/PAN (Iona Street)

1 This agenda point allows members of the public to raise issues of public interest.

2 This agenda point allows LCCC members to raise issues not covered by the agenda.

3 This is for information only; any discussion to be brought to a future meeting.

LCCC outline agenda: 19 August 2019

Unfortunately it has not been possible yet to resolve the booking issues for our normal meeting venue. Hence the August meeting only will be held in the cafe of the Leith Community Centre, 12a Newkirkgate, Edinburgh, EH6 6AD, starting at 7pm.

The outline agenda is below – a detailed agenda will be available nearer the time.

  1. Welcome, introductions, attendance, apologies, declarations of interest
  2. Approval of Minutes of 17 June 2019 meeting
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Community Police Officer’s report
  5. LCCC Governance and Office Bearers’ reports
  6. Transport & Clean Streets
  7. Parks & Green Spaces
  8. Planning
  9. Licensing
  10. Bulletin
  11. Open Forum
  12. AOCB
  13. Future Meetings (usually 3rd Monday of the month) and meeting topics/presentations

LCCC input on 221 Ferry Road Edinburgh EH6 4NN

(adapted form a confirmation email from Edinburgh Council)

Comments were submitted at 8:42 PM on 07 July 2019 from Julian Siann [LCCC’s planning convenor]

Application summary

  • Address: 221 Ferry Road Edinburgh EH6 4NN
  • Proposal: Proposed change of use from Class 7 hotel to 19 bedroom (maximum 30 person occupancy) house of multiple occupation and associated internal and external alterations
  • Case Officer: Alexander Calderwood
  • Click for further information

Customer details

  • Name: Julian Siann
  • Email: <personal email address redacted by LCCC webmaster>
  • Address: <personal address redacted by LCCC webmaster>

Comments details

  • Commenter type: Community Council
  • Stance: Customer objects to the Planning Application

Comments

As a community council we wish to object to this change of use from a hotel to a HMO on the following grounds:

  1. The area is a quiet residential area and our attention has been drawn in the past to the disturbance caused at a similar type of development in the area.
  2. According to spokesmen in the property market, the Ferry road area is not considered to be a suitable location for a HMO. This is because it is unsuitable for a large sector of the market used by students, as it is not conveniently placed for colleges and universities in Edinburgh.
  3. The increase in the residential capacity is bound to cause more pressure on public services, more noise and disturbance to the local residents than the occasional event in the present hotel.
  4. The change appears to be contrary to the Local Development Plan which states under Policy Hou7 that that conversion to an HMO should be assessed in the context of the prevailing housing mix and the fact that it is in a Conservation Area.
  1. There will be a loss of amenity to the community as a whole with the conversion from a hotel to a HMO.