From the Trams to Newhaven team
In order to begin construction of the permanent segregated cycleway on the north side of Leith Walk, we have to close the temporary bi-directional cycleway in certain sections at a time.
We are currently working in the following areas:
- Annandale Street – McDonald Road – a cycle diversion via Annandale Street Lane has been put in place
- Pilrig Street – Balfour Street – a cycle diversion via Cambridge Avenue has been put in place
- Croall Place
- Jane Street – Steads Place (City Fibre works being carried out)
These works are scheduled to be completed by August 2021 at which point the new permanent cycleway on Leith Walk will be available for use in these sections.
Works on other sections of Leith Walk during Summer / Autumn 2021 will also require the closure of the temporary bi-directional cycleway. The construction programme for this is being finalised and details will be made public in due course. In order to provide alternative options for cyclists while these works are being undertaken, the following routes have been identified:
- Great Junction Street – Bonnington Road – Stanwell Street – Pilrig Park – Balfour Street – Cambridge Gardens – Cambridge Avenue – Dryden Street – Dryden Terrace – McDonald Road – Annandale Street Lane – Annandale Street – in both directions.
- Gordon Street – Halmyre Street – Dickson Street – Iona Street – Leith Walk – Pilrig Street – Dryden Street – Dryden Terrace – McDonald Road – Annandale Street Lane – Annandale Street – heading south.
- Iona Street – Dickson Street – Halmyre Street – Gordon Street – heading north.
A map detailing this is attached for your information. (Click either image to see it in a new window or tab.)
Signage and appropriate safety measures will be put in place from this weekend to ensure these diversions are in place for Monday 24 May 2021 and they will be monitored on an ongoing basis.