LCCC May 2021 minutes

Minutes of Leith Central Community Council ordinary meeting, held via
MS Teams, on Monday 17 May 2021 at 7:00pm

Actions and decisions are red italic. nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against a decision.

1 Welcome, introductions, attendance, apologies

1.a Attendees

  • LCCC voting members: Jack Caldwell, Alan Dudley, Charlotte Encombe, Pierre Forissier, Sheila Kennedy, Ian Mowat,
Harald Tobermann, Lucy Watters, Amy Woodgate
  • LCCC ex-officio and non-voting members: Bruce Ryan (minutes secretary), Cllrs Amy McNeese-Mechan, Susan Rae (both Leith Walk ward)
  • Others: Alan McIntosh (Broughton Spurtle), R Price (NTBCC), ~14 residents and visitors

1.b Apologies

  • LCCC: John Wilkinson, Nick Gardner, Ben Macpherson

2 Approval of minutes of the ordinary LCCC meeting on 19 April 2021

Approved as is (proposed I Mowat, seconded J Caldwell)

3 Matters arising from previous minutes (and not included on agenda below)

  • Item 4b (Arthur St): Permission documents have been forwarded to residents. LCCC has not yet published its relevant objection. (It was published subsequently.)

4 Transport & clean streets

4.a Trams to Newhaven

4.a.i LCCC’s objections to the tram TROs (TRO/20/24A and TRO/20/24B)

  • H Tobermann and I Mowat were thanked for writing this objection, which has been submitted.
  • There was discussion over whether P Foressier should object, on behalf of LCCC, about a tree outside 129 Leith Walk being replaced with a loading bay.
  • Points raised included
  • whether this was a ‘planning’ or ‘transport & clean streets’ matter (PF convenes LCCC planning ctte, HT convenes LCCC transport and clean streets ctte.)
  • in April, LCCC commissioned PF only to seek further information on the fate of the trees.
  • in April, LCCC commissioned LCCC’s transport and clean streets committee to respond to the TROs.
  • the deadline for objections had passed
  • LCCC had not commented on any other loading bays in its submission on the TROs
  • the importance of this tree and loading bays
  • individuals can write their own submissions on any topic.
  • Vote (conducted by roll-call) on whether PF should object on LCCC’s behalf:
  • For: 5; Against: 1; Abstain: 2; Absent: 3
  • Decision: PF to object on LCCC’s behalf

4.a.ii CCTT/TT minutes of 25 March 2021 (TT = ‘trams team’)

  • It was noted that CCTT/TT minutes are published after approval at the subsequent meeting, so are published at least a month after the meetings they cover. The minutes secretary apologised for only recently publishing these March minutes, due to pressure from other work. There had been a subsequent meeting in April.
  • P Forissier: these minutes note that there are no plans to monitor vibration once trams are running – this is unusual.

4.a.iii Issues that have been raised in Leopold Place, Windsor Street, London Road, Montgomery Street arising from temporary traffic management connected to tram works and SfP schemes

  • S Kennedy: because London Rd can’t be accessed directly from Hillside Crescent, these streets are used as a rat-run.
  • C Encombe: Pilrig St has been blocked with stationary traffic.
  • Action: LCCC to raise these matters at the next CCTT/TT meeting

4.a.iv Any issues that have arisen for local residents or businesses that have not been dealt with satisfactorily by the Tram Project Team

  • J Caldwell: it was noted that TT is responsible for implementation of Spaces for People measures in areas controlled by TT. However, there has been no SfP work on leith Walk – in fact pavements are being narrowed.
  • H Tobermann: CEC excluded trams corridor from SfP measures, presumably to not halt tram-construction, unless there were very easily implemented measures. These would be implemented by TT. HT suggested that TT is taking too much land.
  • Action: JC and HT to discuss outwith this meeting.
  • A resident: the heras fencing around Annandale St is a pinch-point, making the area dangerous for wheelchair users. When there were vigils here, there were no escape-routes.
  • Actions: this resident to forward information to S Kennedy, C Encombe: to take this up with CCTT.

4.b Update on Communal Bin Enhancement scheme in LCCC area

  • C Encombe: the links shows where bins will be. From July 2022, there will be deposits on glass and plastic bottles.
  • S Kennedy: Abbeyhill residents’ association was told these bin-hubs will be implemented there in June 2021.

4.c Any other Transport & Clean Street matters relevant to LCCC area

None

5 LCCC Governance and Office Bearers’ Reports

5.a Resignation of Amy Woodgate, Engagement Officer, due to relocation outwith LCCC area

This was noted ‘with great sadness’ by the chair.

5.b Vote of thanks for Amy Woodgate’s work

Amy was sincerely thanked for her work to improve LCCC’s engagement and digital offerings.

5.c Appointment of interim Engagement Officer

  • C Encombe: I have asked EVOC if they can help with engagement matters.
  • Action: J Caldwell to take over digital hosting of LCCC online meetings.

5.d Handover of Teams admin

  • Action: J Caldwell, A Woodgate to arrange this

5.e Update on LCCC’s emerging communications protocol

  • J Caldwell, A Woodgate to handle this as part of handover tasks

5.f Problems with reaching LCCC ex officio member and CEC ward councillor Lewis Ritchie by email

  • H Tobermann: Cllr Ritchie’s email box has been full for some time. I propose to escalate this to CEC chief Executive.
  • I Mowat: could you post a letter to the councillor?
  • Cllr Munn: Writing to the cllr via the city chambers won’t work – letters are scanned and emailed cllrs. I have raised this with CEC’s head of governance. This issue is not unknown with this cllr.
  • Action: H Tobermann to write to CEC’s Andrew Kerr

5.g Changes to LCCC’s ex officio membership following recent Scottish parliamentary elections

  • Cllr Rae: the new Scottish Parliament presiding officer is a Lothians MSP (Alison Johnstone)
  • Action: B Ryan to update LCCC’s mailing list and website
  • Action: S Kennedy to write welcoming letters to new ex-officio members

5.h Treasurer’s report

  • LCCC accounts will be signed off in time for next month’s AGM.

6 Planning

6.a LCCC objection to 21/00991/FUL and 21/00990/CON at 27 Arthur Street

This has been submitted.

6.b LCCC comments on 20/05553/FUL at 106 – 162 Leith Walk

This has been submitted.

6.c Housing & Student Housing in Leith & NE Edinburgh since 2016 (compiled by Andy Arthur and Gordon Carmichael)

  • P Forrisier: such student housing is commercial.
  • A resident: The relevant CEC policy is HOU8.

6.d Any other planning matters relevant to LCCC area

  • None

7 Parks & Green Spaces

7.a Delays to Stage 1 of Powderhall NW-SE Green Corridor

  • H Tobermann: I have escalated this matter to CEC Director of Place, because his staff working on Powderhall were redeployed to SfP. Hence this green corridor scheme has been pushed back, yet is widely acknowledged to be very worthwhile.
  • A McIntosh: this matter has become of interest to the Better Broughton campaign.

7.b Other points

  • I Mowat: are there plans to make Pilrig Park more cycle-permeable? The paths are narrow, and don’t follow desire-lines.
  • C Encombe: many people already cycle through this park. Only one part of the park is not accessible to cyclists. It’s a small park, that needs to be shared by different types of user.
  • Action: Cllr Munn to investigate. (He is on a body concerned with active travel and trams.)

8 Open forum (local residents)[1]

No items

9 AOCB (LCCC members)[2]

  • P Forissier: since lodging the Arthur St objection, I have met with residents. There will soon be a site-visit with the CEC case officer
  • Action: PF to email objection to J Caldwell, for publication on LCCC website.
  • C Encombe: The new CEC code of conduct has been published. Should LCCC create its own addendum, encouraging members to consider the totality of the LCCC area, and welcoming new members?
  • There were some positive reactions to this.
  • J Caldwell: members are welcome to join me on ‘ward walks’.
  • S Kennedy: tweeting pictures of issues to @edinhelp can be very fruitful.

10 Bulletin[3]

10.a Former biscuit factory reborn as year-round food, drink, arts and festival destination in Leith (EN, 12-05-21)

  • C Encombe: it is intended that this becomes a Fringe venue.

10.b The Inverse Care Law in road safety (Essential Evidence No.38, published April 2021 by Edinburgh Napier University’s Transport Research Institute)

  • C Encombe: mortality of children in road-traffic accidents is worse in deprived areas.

11 Future ordinary meetings (usually 3rd Monday of the month) and topics/presentations

11.a AGM on 21 June 2021

  • C Encombe: I have booked the city archaeologist to speak on what has been found in the tram-excavations
  • Action: C Encombe to ask him to include material on findings at 70, 72 Newhaven Road (17/01183/FUL)
  • Decision: to hold AGM on 21 June 2021

11.b to note: future meetings (face to face as soon as possible) on 3rd Monday of each month at 7pm (except July and December)

11.b.i to note: future presentations and charrettes

See item 11a above.

[1] This agenda point allows members of the public to raise issues of public interest; during online meetings, please raise your virtual hand.

[2] This agenda point allows LCCC members to raise issues not covered by the agenda.

[3] Items of local interest that may be raised at a future LCCC meeting (not for discussion at this meeting)