The annual awards ceremony is organised by Volunteer Centre Edinburgh and the Edinburgh Compact Partnership as part of Volunteers’ Week, the national celebration of volunteers and volunteering. This event is hosted annually by the Lord Provost and City of Edinburgh Council.
The awards celebrate the accomplishments of volunteers, and the major economic and social benefits they provide as a result of their voluntary activities. This year the event will take place on Wednesday 4th June 2014 and is by invitation only. This is your opportunity to recognise the contribution of your volunteers by nominating them for an Award.
You can nominate your volunteers online through this Survey Monkey
Organisations can nominate up to three individual volunteers and one team. There is no guarantee that any of them will be invited to accept their award at the City Chambers because numbers are strictly limited. However all nominated volunteers will receive a certificate.
- The Awards are only open to people volunteering in the City of Edinburgh.
- There are no age restrictions.
- Volunteers must have volunteered for at least six months with your organisation before being eligible to be nominated.
- If they have previously received an “Inspiring Volunteering Certificate” at the City Chambers they should not be nominated again.
- Only fully completed nominations will be considered for individuals or teams, and we will quote from these statements when presenting the awards.
All shortlisted nominations will be considered for the Lord Provost of Edinburgh’s Inspiring Volunteer of the Year Award 2014.
A number of special recognition categories have been introduced to highlight some of the diverse areas of volunteering across the City of Edinburgh, including:
- A Young Volunteer (aged between 11 and 25 years old)
- Long Standing Contribution to Volunteering Award (an individual who has volunteered for 10 years or more, and has made an outstanding contribution)
- Charity Shop Volunteer
- Fundraising Volunteer
- Trustee Volunteer
- Health & Social Care Volunteer (volunteers engaged in health and social care, including support work, befriending or projects which reduce social isolation and help assist independent living)
- Sports Volunteer (volunteers actively involved in supporting sports in their communities).
- Environment & Conservation Volunteer (volunteers engaged in environmental activities including education, conservation or gardening).
- Arts, Culture & Heritage Volunteer
- Housing / Tenant volunteer ***NEW category for 2014 ***
Volunteers Week runs from the 1st – 7th June 2014. We encourage all volunteer involving organisations to organise their own recognition events during Volunteers’ Week, whether that be their own awards ceremony, coffee morning, lunch or social activity for their volunteers. It’s a great opportunity to do something to say thank you, and show your volunteers that they are valued and appreciated.
*** Nominations close on Monday 7th April 2014 at 6pm ***
For more information please contact:
Lara Celini, Public Services Manager, Volunteer Centre Edinburgh, 24 Torphichen Street (3rd Floor) Edinburgh EH3 8JB
Direct dial: 0131 225 0630