The Trams to Newhaven team sent out an update on Friday 18th December. It included the following information. You can recieve these updates by subscribing on tramstonewhaven.co.uk.
Christmas shut down plan
The Trams to Newhaven project construction will shut down from 5pm on 18 December 2020 until 7am on Monday 4 January 2021. Both contractors will return to work on Monday 4 to review all safety measures ahead of recommencing construction activities on Tuesday 5 January 2021.
All main works finished on the evening of the Wednesday 16 to allow two full days on Thursday 17 and Friday 18 for general housekeeping and security.
All open excavations will be backfilled for health and safety purposes and to protect assets.
During the period of site shutdown, the entry and exit gates will be secured using a coded padlock. All emergency services have been given the code should they need to gain access.
Traffic management maintenance crews will be operational 24/7 over the Christmas period. The site will be inspected twice a day.
Over the festive period our contact centre hours will be as follows:
• 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 December 8am – 8pm
• 24 December 8am – 6pm
• 27, 28, 29, 30 December 8am – 8pm
• 31 December 8am – 6pm
• 3 and 4 January 8am – 8pm
The contact centre will be closed:
• 25 and 26 December 2020
• 1 and 2 January 2021
In the event of an emergency out with our operational hours please call our number on 0131 322 1122 where your call will be diverted to our out of hours contact.
Contact details are:
Telephone: 0131 322 1122
The operating times for the Logistics Hubs over the period are:
• 21, 22, 23 December 8am – 6pm
• 24 December 8am – 3pm
• 28, 29, 30 December 8am – 6pm
• 31 December 8am – 3pm
• 4 January 8am – 3pm
The Logistics Hubs will be closed:
• 25, 26 and 27 December 2020
• 1,2 and 3 January 2021
From Monday 11 January the new opening hours for the contact centre will be Monday to Friday 8am to 7pm and Saturday 8am to 2pm. Our email, Twitter and Instagram accounts will be monitored Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
Leith Walk progress over 2020
- Enabling works were completed in the early part of the year with the creation of the city-bound running lane ahead of the main construction works which were due to commence in March 2020.
- Following a 13 week shut down period due to COVID-19 the main construction works began on 22 June. This saw the establishment of the construction site from London Road to Crown Place. To date 60% of Leith Walk has been handed over from MUS, who completed excavation and utility clearance to SFN who will undertake the main tram infrastructure works and public realm.
- The first installation of rail on Leith Walk has taken place within the Pilrig Street to Dalmeny Street section.