LCCC March 2020 minutes

Due to the limitations of online meetings, we are only recording those who were present at or sent apologies for such meetings.

This meeting was for members only, so any decision recorded below may not be binding. Similarly, the LCCC April meeting may not have been empowered to approve the minutes below.

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Leith Central Community Council, held via Zoom on Monday 30 March 2020 at 7:00pm

Actions and decisions are red italic. nem con means that no-one spoke or voted against a decision.

1 Welcome, introductions, attendance, apologies

Name 2019 2020
May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
Clara Boeker Y * No meeting Y A NA – resigned
Jack Caldwell Y Y Y Y A Y Y Y Y Y
Jeremy Darot * * A NA – resigned
Alan Dudley Y Y Y A Y Y Y Y Y
Charlotte Encombe Y Y Y Y A Y Y Y Y Y
Pierre Forissier Y * A Y Y Y Y Y Y
Nick Gardner Y Y A A Y Y Y A Y Y
Fee Gerlach NA NA NA NA Y A Y A Y Y
John Hein Y Y Y Y Y Y A Y
Sheila Kennedy Y Y Y Y A Y A Y A Y
Ian Mowat A Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
Lorraine Moore A * * NA – resigned
Damian Sefton * * * * NA – resigned
Julian Siann Y Y A NA – resigned
John Tibbitt NA NA NA NA Y Y Y Y Y Y
Harald Tobermann Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
John Wilkinson Y Y Y Y Y Y A Y A Y
Amy Woodgate NA NA NA NA A Y Y Y Y Y
Bruce Ryan Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y A Y
Cllr Amy McNeese-Mechan Y A A Y Y * A * A
Cllr Rob Munn Y * A Y A A * Y A
Cllr Susan Rae Y Y A Y * * A * Y Y
Cllr Lewis Ritchie A Y A * * A * * A
Ben Macpherson MSP A A * Y * A * A Y Y
Alison Johnstone MSP A * * * * * A * A
Deidre Brock MP A A A Y * A A A A A

Y = present; y = sent representative, A = not present, sent apology; * = not present, did not send apology

Alan Macintosh Broughton Spurtle Sally Millar Leith Links CC
Michael Trail Leith Links CC Lisa Clarke representing Ben Macpherson MSP

1.a To note: Declarations of interest in any items on the agenda

None

1.b To agree: Order of business, and future meetings

  • Decision: this meeting will cover only pressing items, and future online meetings will have similarly reduced agendas.
  • Action: A Woodgate to work with S Kennedy on efficient use of Zoom via iPad, and share lessons with relevant members
  • Action: J Caldwell to help visually impaired members to take part as much as possible.

2 Approval of Minutes of 17 February 2020 meeting

These were approved subject to

  • I Mowat supplying, and B Ryan adding, two small details that had been inaudible to B Ryan.
  • Others present sending any other changes to B Ryan within 48 hours of this meeting. (No such changes were sent.)

3 Matters arising from previous minutes (and not included on agenda below)

None

4 Community Police Officer’s Report

None

5 Transport & Clean Streets

No discussions

6 Planning

C Encombe noted that CEC planning activity on CityPlan 2030 and City Mobility Plan is on hold. (Details are on Planning Edinburgh blog-posts here and here. Details of other changes to CEC planning activities are here.)

There was no discussion of items 6.a to 6.d, except that I Mowat stated personal approval of the draft LCCC responses to City Mobility Plan and City Plan 2030.

Action: C Encombe to circulate drafts to LCCC members by email, then submit them if members do not disapprove.

6.e to note: proposal by local residents to extend Leith Walk Conservation Area

C Encombe stated that all LCCC members should read this proposal, with a view to appropriately refining the Local Development Plan (City Plan 2030). This extension to the conservation area (CA) would safeguard the area from extreme development. It was noted that the extension’s promoter is in conversation with CEC Planning and the Cockburn Association.

Comments included

  • (I Mowat) The case for extension is well made, but what are the current and proposed boundaries of the conservation area? Are Leith Station and Stead’s Place currently excluded?
  • (A Woodgate) I am creating a map that will show this, and other features of LCCC area. People should visit or look at the area via Google’s street view. (The west extension appears as a green strip north of Bedlam Paintball.) The proposal is simply to geographically extend the protection offered by the current CA.
  • (J Tibbitt) Has there been any contact with Leith Harbour & Newhaven CC (LHNCC) over this?
  • (C Encombe) The extension to the west would provide a link to Pilrig Park, and would be the ‘green bridge’. Hence it would contribute to a circular route for pedestrians and cyclists.
  • (I Mowat) Could the warehouses just south of Bedlam Paintball be part of the extension – they may well have been part of the original goods yard.
  • (C Encombe) <expressed dubiousness about including what are now grotty buildings>
  • (S Kennedy) <concurred about former goods yard>
  • (J Tibbitt) How does this connect with the Halmyre St place brief? (They should work together.)
  • (A Woodgate) This document could be more compelling. I am interested in helping refine it, if that is acceptable to its creators.
  • (N Gardner) What is the deadline?
  • (C Encombe) Deadline is soon. All that is needed now from LCCC is an expression of general support. Refinements can be made later.

Decision: LCCC supports this proposal in principle

Action: all LCCC members to read this proposal fully

Action: C Encombe to forward this proposal to LHNCC and Leith Links CC.

Action: A Woodgate to contact the organiser, stating LCCC’ support in principle, and offering to work with him on further iterations. These would include neighbouring areas as appropriate, and hence make the case more compelling.

6.f to note: any other Planning matters relevant to LCCC area

6.f.i Croall Place illuminated advertising signage

  • S Kennedy asked why (and expressed outrage that) this signage is still operating, given that permission has expired.
  • C Encombe noted that H Toberman has written to CEC planning about this.
  • A Woodgate noted she has received various relevant CEC documents and policies. A 1984 Act sets the maximum fine at £200. Such enforcement is likely to have no effect.
  • J Caldwell suggested that LCCC’s comms and engagement group should start a public campaign.
  • Cllr Rae noted that CEC officers are likely to be overwhelmed just now. During the coronavirus lockdown, enquiries should be sent to CEC cllrs, who will then forward them to relevant CEC officials. She asked for LCCC to use this process.
  • C Encombe asked Cllr Rae to press CEC planning staff to reply to H Tobermann’s emails.

Action: S Kennedy to forward relevant information to Cllr Rae.

7 LCCC Governance and Office Bearers’ reports

There was no discussion of items 7.b to 7.d

Action: LCCC executive to consider how the AGM (due on 17 April) will be run if lockdown continues until then

7.a to note: Treasurer’s report

It was noted that LCCC’s financial year ends on 31 March.

  • Action: B Ryan to ensure he has submitted all relevant invoices.
  • Action: I Mowat to prepare 2019-2020 accounts

8 Parks & Green Spaces

No discussions

9 Licensing

No discussions

10 Open Forum[1]

No discussions

11 AOCB[2]

11.a CEC operations during coronavirus lockdown

See also item 6.f.i above

Cllr Rae noted that almost all of her business is currently being done via online meetings, and that she has even more meetings than normal. There is an operation leadership team and a governance team. CEC officers have delegated powers, so convenors and co-convenors working with officers make decisions relevant to their committees. However, all CEC councillors receive relevant information and can comment on all matters to the convenors etc.

Cllr Rae has submitted an amendment about taxi-drivers who cannot get their cabs MOTed because the test centre is closed. However, Cllr Barrie has beaten her to it.

N Gardner expressed concern about events management (e.g. 2020 Xmas market). Cllr Rae stated that this was in hand.

11.b Community council coronavirus actions

J Caldwell asked whether there are actions LCCC should take.

Cllr Rae suggested that informal discussions could take place during LeithChooses online meetings, given that LeithChooses 2020-21 has been cancelled. (It will take too long to arrange after the lockdown has been lifted.) However, the steering group is continuing to meet online to support and share information with each other (especially to support relevant CEC officials).

Action: B Ryan to invite J Caldwell to LC meetings

Cllr Rae also noted that Volunteer Edinburgh is co-ordinating voluntary community action across Edinburgh, so this is the best route. LeithChooses is not co-ordinating community or community council actions.

Decisions

  • LCCC is not to seek and/or publicise coronavirus information on its own. Any information LCCC publishes must be guaranteed to be reliable and up to date, e.g. links to information from NHS.
  • Offers of community help will only be publicised if LCCC members can absolutely vouch for them
  • Action: J Caldwell to update broken links etc on website

12 Bulletin[3]

Campaigners set up own firm in bid to buy Leith Walk’s Stead Place backed by Scottish ministers (EN, 2/3/20)

13 Future Meetings (usually 3rd Monday of the month) and meeting topics/presentations

to note: 2020: 20 Apr, 18 May (incl AGM), 15 Jun

to note: future presentations and charrettes

tbc: talk by CEC Archeology Officer and FCA on findings at 70, 72 Newhaven Road (17/01183/FUL)

[1] This agenda point allows members of the public to raise issues of public interest.

[2] This agenda point allows LCCC members to raise issues not covered by the agenda.

[3] This is for information only; any discussion to be brought to a future meeting.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.