There’s not much we can add to government advice and rulings, but we want to reiterate;
- Stay at home. Protect the NHS.
- Wash your hands.
- Ensure your news is from a trusted source.
Leith, Bonnington, Broughton and Hillside are very densely built up areas which means we need to take particular care and heed the advice. If you’re confused about the fast moving rules, please check out either of these definitive websites (and only them!);
We applaud the dozens of community groups popping up in the area in response to COVID-19, from street-wide WhatsApps to larger community networks. Several of our members have been active in facilitating these groups, but to ensure the safety of everyone, as well as the magnitude of them now springing up (mostly on “street by street level”, we’re no longer catalouging them.
Volunteer Edinburgh are now starting a larger directory of them. Here are some national organisations that may be of help;
Nationwide support (phone and online)
- 0800 111 4000 is a national helpline to provide essential assistance to those who don’t have a network of support but who are at high risk of contracting COVID-19. Those with health problems are re-directed to phone NHS 111 (dial 111) or the NHS Inform website. More information is on the Scottish Government Website.
- 0800 028 2816 was the original helpline. It remains live for general advice and guidance on COVID-19. It is non-clinical.
- GP practices remain available during usual hours (primarily for non-Covid-19 health matters).
- Emergency services are unchanged on 999.
- Chest, Heart & Stroke Scotland
- Lonlieness service
- Age UK Scotland
- For people over 50 – confidential help with local services and opportunities, benefit entitlements, care rights, housing options and heating, loneliness
- Crisis Streetwork Service
- Get help for yourself or someone else sleeping on the streets
- Citizens Advice Scotland
- Advice regarding money, employment, benefits etc.
- Mental health and wellbeing support
- Under One Roof
- Guidance for tenement tenants
- ParentLine Scotland
- Guidance and advice for parents and guardians
- British Red Cross
- Loneliness service, support at home
- Breathing Space
- Lonliness, mental health supportline
- Pilmeny Development Project
- Buchanan Street-based Pilmeny Development Project have launched referrals for their alternate services for both older people and young people/families.