During January, the Council will be hosting a number of consultation events to allow the public to express their aspirations and ideas about the area between Leith Walk and Halmyre Street and its redevelopment potential, resulting in a Place Brief. This Brief will set out a series of high level principles for the design of future development proposals. These principles will be based on community priorities and Council requirements for this part of the city, including:
- Scale and density of any development
- Housing – mixed tenure housing
- Commercial spaces – the provision of commercial and office spaces
- Routes – new pedestrian and cycle routes
- Green Space – opportunities to create new green spaces in the area
- Other Uses – what and where other new uses would be appropriate
Leith Central Community Council, who called for such a brief in March last year, will debate this issue and submit views in due course.